What is an Ecommerce payment gateway? What are the best online payment gateways for eCommerce businesses? To get the answer to these questions let’s suppose you want to shop something from an eCommerce store. You will select the desired product and add it to your cart and follow it to checkout. For this purpose, you will require a payment gateway by which you can pay for your purchase.
Payment gateways are capable of all the transactions of an eCommerce store.
So, to make your purchase you need to put the details of your credit card on the payment gateway page. Then the amount of the purchased product will be deducted from your credit card by the payment gateway and after deducting some fees transfer it to the dropshipper’s bank account. The gateways are very helpful as they have made the eCommerce payment process simpler and convenient.
Consequently, we can say that;
- Payment gateway makes the checkout process fast and steady.
- Keep the customer’s information safe and secure through encryption.
Moreover, as there are different payment gateway providers available, most people prefer the one they are accustomed to. Such as in the United States the most commonly used payment gateway is PayPal. In Ukraine, Stripe is the most familiar eCommerce payment gateway and even in Canada, Payoneer and Stripe are generally used. So, it is suggested that when you targeting a country choose the leading payment gateway or use a combo of one or two.
Some Basic Terms to understand Payment Systems
Following are some basic terms that you need to understand to choose the best online payment gateways for eCommerce businesses;
- ACH payment: What is an ACH payment? ACH stands for Automated Clearing House and is a type of electronic credit and debit transfer that enables its customers to make payments from their bank accounts such as debt loans, utility bills or any other bill. ACH payment is common for an ACH transfer or ACH transaction.
- Merchant Account: A merchant account is a type of bank account that allows businesses to receive payments in multiple ways, typically debit or credit cards and process electronic payment card transactions.
Establishing Merchant accounts needs an agreement between a business partner and a merchant acquiring bank that expedites all communications and adjustments in an electronic payment transaction.
- Payment Gateway: A payment gateway is a technology that allows securely passing credit card information between the customer and the merchant as well as between the merchant and the payment processor.
Technically, the payment gateway works as the negotiator between the merchant and their sponsoring bank.
- Payment Processor: A payment processor is some sort of translator for financial calculations that manages the transaction process of the credit card by acting as the negotiator between the merchant and the financial institutions involved. A processor can authorize transactions from various channels such as credit cards and debit cards for merchant acquiring banks and works on merchants getting paid on time via facilitating the transfer of funds.
Moreover, the payment processors execute the anti-fraud measures to ensure the protection of both the front-facing customer and the merchant.
- PCI compliance: PCI Compliance is very important for security purposes and payment card data theft.
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) results when a retailer or payment gateway sets their payment conditions up. The PCI DSS standard was created to strengthen the security of cardholder data and to lessen fraud by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council.
A Brief Guide to Choose a Payment Gateway for Dropshippers
If you are a merchant who just started an e-commerce business, then the selection of the best payment gateway is crucial. Let’s dive into the simplest and most useful guide to find the right one for your dropshipping business.
Focus on the following points;
- If you are targeting your products in a country, choose the popular payment gateway there.
- Make sure the payment gateway deducts the minimum transaction fee.
- Check the compatibility of the payment gateway with dropshipping stores. Because mostly eCommerce payment gateways due to the high rate do not prefer the dropshippers.
- If you are planning to expand in the global market, check if you can use the gateway and if it is offering the best shopping experience to the customers.
7 Best Online Payment Gateways for eCommerce Businesses
There are a lot of online payment gateways out there that you can use to manage your eCommerce business related activities. But you need to choose the one that’s in line with your specific goals. Here we’ve enlisted the list of 7 best online payment gateways for e-commerce businesses.
Stripe is comparatively a new e-commerce payment gateway that has grown very fast and attained popularity in the market. It has become the leading payment processing organization in the online market. Stripe receives payments from different sources such as credit cards, digital wallets, ACH transfers with 24 different currencies.
Moreover, it provides multiple checkout options and with their custom UI toolkit, you can also create a different payment form. Stripe works great for credit card processing systems. Till now Stipe is supporting famous countries such as Australia, Canada, United Kingdom and the USA.
- Per domestic transaction, Stripes processing charges are 2.9% + $0.30.
- Spotify, GitHub, Shopify are the brands that are using stripe payment gateway.
Braintree is an online payment gateway that was founded in 2012 and for now, it is screening the mobile payment gateway platform. It has different programming and particularly its code is in the retailer’s online e-commerce site. It Offers a secure checkout experience that encourages customers to come back to the website again and again.
It is a great option for those eCommerce businesses that want to improve their order management and are searching for processing the payments correctly.
Moreover, with Braintree, customers can also use a range of payment options, including PayPal, Venmo, debit and credit cards, Google Pay, and more.
- Braintree processing charge is standard 2.9% + $0.30 for each transaction.
- Brands such as Dropbox, Uber, Yelp are using this payment gateway.
PayPal is one of the biggest and most well-known online payment gateway options that is accepted all around the world. It has more than 254 million users. PayPal has all payment solutions and is an optimal choice for merchants who want to flourish their business.
It charges no transaction fees for customers and is free to use. While on the other hand if merchants are using PayPal for Visa payments, payments from Mastercard and credit cards they have to pay some transaction fees. If they are using PayPal for Visa payments, payments from Mastercard and credit cards are easily acknowledged. In PayPal, there are no charges like setup expenses, gateway fees, or monthly charges.
- Per transaction, its processing fee is 2.9% with no monthly charges.
- The top brands that are using this payment gateway are Disney, Adidas, and ASOS.
Skrill is a trustworthy UK-based e-commerce payment gateway that is available in over 40 countries. It was designed by considering the needs and demands of both businesses and consumers. Skrill assures the complete security of the payment data and has made the connectivity simple globally with any bank.
You can make payments for the products and services irrespective of the place by using its dedicated mobile application.
For efficient international transactions, Skrill is the best option. It is free to create an account on skrill but;
- Skrill charges 1.9%processing fees.
- It charges a 3.99% currency conversion fee.
Google Pay is one of the best and popular payment gateway options for all the e-commerce store owners in the western region. In the European and US markets for storing money, many people are using Google Wallet. For online customers, the Google checkout option is being utilized for easy and secure payments. It is more reliable and faster than the other leading e-commerce payment gateways. In comparison with other payment gateways, Google Pay charges very few transaction fees.
It provides easy and quick account setup and integration with an online e-commerce store. Google Pay owns integration with AdSense.
Hence, a significant advantage of Google Pay is that millions of Internet users are using Google for other services, purchasing by Google Pay is an easier process.
- Google Pay does not charge any transaction fee but for instant transfers, it changes 1%.
- Google Pay is accepted by some of the big US stores such as American Eagle Outfitters, Barneys New York, Bloomingdale’s, Brookshire’s Food & Pharmacy, Crate & Barrel, and Foot Locker.
Apple Pay is one of the most broadly used contactless e-commerce payment gateways in the industry. Thus, for your dropshipping store, it is a great choice. Apple Pay enables its customers to easily pay with the click of a button. This contactless payment gateway receives payments from Visa, Master Card, American Express, Union Pay, QUICPay, and Suica.
Apple Pay is convenient to use and goes with Apple devices. Furthermore, it is used for purchasing securely in-store, in apps, and also over the web.
In order to counter the fraudulent activities, Apple Pay uses NFC technology.
- The Apple Pay transaction fee is 1% of the transferred amount.
- Some of Apple’s partners such as Best Buy, B&H Photo, Bloomingdales, Chevron, Disney, Dunkin Donuts, GameStop, Jamba Juice, Kohl’s, Lucky, McDonald’s, Office Depot, Petco, Publix, etc. accept Apple Pay.
Amazon Payment is one of the secured and best online payment gateways for eCommerce businesses. It is the most simplified payment gateway that provides services to customers. It has also facilitated merchants and customers in easy selling and purchasing of products. Amazon Payments fully works on the data that is entered by the customer to close check-ins and checkouts.
Further, it is serving and catering to the needs of global customers. It can be integrated into numerous languages and also supports all currencies. Whereas for some merchants it is an expensive payment gateway.
- On domestic transactions, Amazon payments charge a 2.9% processing fee with an extra $0.30 per transaction.
- Whether the international fee may range about 3.9%.
- Rothys, Lootcrate, and MVMT Watches are the famous brands that are using Amazon payment gateway.
Hence, a payment gateway is very important and the doom of the B2B e-commerce business as it is a necessary part of any eCommerce business. Despite this, reaching out to the right one is a real obstacle. So for this purpose, either experiment with different payment gateways and keep the one that works best for your eCommerce business or just start with the popular eCommerce payment gateways such as Paypal, Stripe and Braintree to lessen the chances of losing relevant customers to your eCommerce stores.
I hope this article help you to choose the payment gateway according to your requirements. But implementing a gateway to your site is a technical task. And, you definitely need a eCommerce Development Agency for this. So, I suggest you Shopify Pro. Shopify Pro is one of the leading eCommerce Development Agency.
Digital Transformation11 months ago
10 Best Ecommerce platforms in 2020 – Quick Ecommerce platform guide
Shopify2 years ago
Benefits of Shopify Website Maintenance
E-commerce10 months ago
10 E-Commerce Conversion tips to Boost Black Friday Sale in 2021
Digital Marketing10 months ago
SEO Checklist for 2021 – An Ultimate SEO Guide
E-commerce8 months ago
Ecommerce conversion checklist for 2021
Shopify6 months ago
Shopify Pricing Plans Review 2021
Shopify5 months ago
Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising
Search Engine Optimization1 year ago
200% Organic growth for GiftCardDeal Site